Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Garden Pixie


 
I was able to find the time to paint the wee sketch I posted last week. That little doodle was very small and simple and there wasn't really a lot there to paint but I managed to fill in some details and add some grass and twigs and leaves - my usual solution to finishing a piece like this. The paper I used this time was 300 pound hot press which I have not used before, mainly because 140 pound hot press, my usual paper, is cheaper. But let me tell you, the 300 pound paper is a dream to work on.
Expensive yes, but it can take anything you can throw at it. No stretching or taping to a board. It will now be my paper of choice when the situation allows.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! A wonderful painting. 300 pound Arches paper is my favorite paper. Incredible, expensive stuff. What do you make your lines with? It looks like sepia ink but I cant tell.

Craig Phillips said...

Wow! So nice Larry. Great to see the sketch and then the final. Wonderful piece!

tinypearl5758 said...

Larry she is beautiful, I agree that seeing the sketch first and then getting to see the end painting is wonderful. And I love it. Thank you for sharing and bringing a little bit of magic to our lives. xxx

Larry MacDougall said...

Hi Eric
Yes, 300lb Arches - absolutely fabulous.
No sepia ink on this one - all gouache.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Craig. The sketch was a breeze - it took 5 minutes. The painting was a royal pain in the pants. I'm still messing with it.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks so much Tiny Pearl - your support is much appreciated :)

Karen said...

This is gorgeous!

Raul Avila said...

buen trabajo!

Larry MacDougall said...

Morgaine, Raul - Thanks guys :)

Ben Hatke said...

Hey, I used 300 poiund arches for the first time this week. It's fantastic stuff!

And what you've done with it... of course also pretty amazing.